I was so proud of myself, friends: Yesterday I finally finished clearing out the space in the Studio that will become the Nursery (and hence the “Nursdio”). Success! Elation! Joy! Especially since the place looked like this (the “before” pics, unfortunately) when I started. In fact, I was all set to drag Matt in from spraying weeds outside to say “put the cradle up NOW…please” because I’m ready, people! Let’s get this Nursery in gear!
And then reality set in and OH NO THIS ISN’T GOING TO WORK panic briefly hit. You see, I forgot entirely (and I’m totally blaming this on pregnancy-brain, yes I am) about the size of the steam unit on this wall.
It connects to our master bath steam shower on the other side of the wall. It’s been hiding under my work table for several years now and while I knew perfectly well it was there and had no problem with the pan on the floor being under the crib (we rarely use the steam, it’s rather quiet, and very little water vapor actually manifests), I neglected to remember how big the unit is farther up on the wall, how wide it is, and how far it sticks out. It sticks out 7 inches. My crib has a slight sleigh back but not that much. If I set the crib out 7 inches from the wall not only would it look weird, but it would stick out in the room awkwardly. Hunh.
Much measuring ensued at this point. Can the crib and changing table (the green cabinet in that first picture) both fit beyond this unit? Yes, but not well. And that doesn’t feel right anyway. The more I thought about it, and the 6-foot paper storage desk I want to put in the studio, the more I realized the only real solution is to flip sides – Nursery to the right, studio to the left. Move all of this:
Across the room. All of that. Well, actually I need to condense it yet more into just two shelf units (currently three) to make room for my 6-foot work table and some breathing space. One of the units will sit over That Darn Steam Thing, which cuts down on my storage even more but this will work! I hadn’t truly finished organizing those shelves yet anyway.
I’m actually not that upset. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of approaching the room and seeing the baby side rather than my messy side.
Now to figure out a quick and easy, no stress and no fuss way to refinish this green cabinet slightly.
The knobs and pulls will be an easy upgrade change, and it’s in perfect shape structurally but has some sticker damage from past users that I would like to clear up…
Especially the bunny. I’m having a boy but come on – let’s not go there yet! I think while the room is pretty open I’m going to do a light sand on the affected places and repaint a closely matching or complimentary color because I like the color it is now (yes I’ll be very careful with the paint fumes). Or perhaps I’ll go wild and do something a little more like this, though more boy-oriented. The bottom doors are perfect so at this point it’s just the drawers and top that need help (I realize the top will have a changing pad on it but still – no bunny ears!).
Then there’s the glider-rocker stashed downstairs that I really wanted to refinish or at least re-cover in a different fabric (currently white rocker with denim-blue cushions)…hunh…
It also occurred to me I should hang the picture I’m using as a focal point, at least temporarily, so I can get a feel for how this will all truly go together (not just how it should go together in my head). I can do that tonight. Success!
So that’s the status of the Nursdio. I’m in my third trimester now but I have plenty of time to finish these projects.
Yes, I do.